Last week, after having a few beers at a live fantasy football draft (which I dominated, by the way), I impulsively agreed to meet a random dude from OkCupid for an impromptu first date in the city before heading home.
Ordinarily, this would not have been a noteworthy experience. But on this particular day I had decided to wear ripped jorts to work.
Jorts, for those of you with taste and/or lives, are jean shorts.
In any case, below is the entire story arc of the date in which I wore jorts, as told through a truncated series of Facebook IMs between my friend Steven and I.
En route to the date…
- Me: The draft is over, my team is amazing, I’m drunk
- Me: now I’m meeting some dude for more drinks
- Me: I’m wearing topped jean shorts so
- Me: he’ll definitely think I’m hot
- Steven: topped jean shorts?
- Steven: omg do you mean RIPPED?
- Steven: because if so, you must change
- Steven: are you a twink in the West Village circa 1985?
- Me: it’s too late!!!
- Steven: you have an affinity for ripped jeans
- Me: If he’s the One he would accept ripped jeans
- Me: and or jorts
- Steven: omg
- Steven: you own jorts don’t you?
- Me: I’M WEARING THEM NOW!
- Steven: omg it didn’t even register I was so focused on the ripped part
During the date…
- Me: Truly he is peeing
- Me: RAPPER
- Me: he’s herring us more beer
- Steven: you don’t need more beer
- Me: Shonda Rhimes
After the date…
- Me: Ok I’m overrrrrr it with this dude
- Steven: Why?
- Me: we just parted ways
- Me: it was just like very abrupt
- Steven: sounds gross
- Me: Haha idk I’m confused!!!
- Me: this is the first date in a long time where
- Steven: you were drunk from the start?
- Me: no where he was clearly NOT into me
- Steven: Which of course makes you want him
- Me: Meh this guy was boring
- Me: if I’m getting honest
- Steven: Ha
- Me: His only appeal is that he’s Italian and from Staten Island
- Steven: OMG Mariah is on Twitter asking fans about songs for her tour
- Steven: and tweeted: “Side Effects or Petals?”
- Steven: I CANNOT
- Me: Nooooiii
- Me: I’m too impaired to deal with this
- Steven: Hahahaha wait why? They’re both gems
- Me: I mean what’s her mental state?
- Steven: if she’s thinking about either of those songs, she’s clearly angry
- Me: They’re so different
- Me: [FACEBOOK STICKER OF CAT WITH DOUGH ROLLER]
- Me: Like what kind of a weird a
- Me: Ass match up is that
- Me: [FACEBOOK STICKER OF CAT WITH DONUT]
- Me: I didn’t mean to do those!
- Me: /
- Me: whatever it’s probably the jorts that made that guy not into me
- Me: Your silence indicates that you write
- Me: Age*
- Me: Agree****
- Steven: the ripped jorts have to go
SO IS IT TRUE?
Are ripped jorts a crime? Do ripped jorts ruin everything? Are ripped jorts the reason why Mariah Carey and Tommy Mottola got divorced in 1997 and also why things are now on the rocks with her and Nick Cannon and therefore why she’s taken to Twitter to survey fans on their favorite jilted-Mimi songs? Are ripped jorts to blame for the fact that I went home alone after my date that night and ate an entire box of Annie’s Party Mix?
Maybe. But actually — you know what? Fall is soon to be upon us. So I can probably just shelve this discussion altogether until next year. Time to break out the full-length jeans with holes in them and continue evading the underlying issues that draw me to ripped denim in the first place! Yay!
Below are some highlights from the “Jorts” page on Urban Dictionary (followed by my thoughts in bold):
Jean shorts. Worn mostly by children and douchebags. Jorts are perhaps the easiest way to recognize people you will not like. If you wear jorts, you probably don’t talk to girls. (I mean, that last part is true in my case.)
Slang for jean shorts. These are most often worn by the fashion illiterate. (I prefer ensemble-y challenged, asshole.)
Jean shorts that are unusually short, generally worn on men, was fashionable in the 80’s not now. (Steven is this you?)
F*ck you, I can dress any way I want. (Right on, sister!)
Jean-shorts. mostly worn by queers and cute bus drivers. (OMG I’m both of those. Except I don’t identify as “queer” and I’m not a bus driver. But I am cute. When I’m not wearing jorts, at least.)
Possibly the ugliest article of clothing one can wear. Usually worn by people who do not have friends, because a true friend would tell you that you look like a faggot. (Listen, Urban Dictionary, your Eminem-esque homophobia is out of control. I’m beginning to think you’re the gay one. And BY THE WAY, the term you’re actually looking for is “twink in the West Village circa 1985,” so bye.)